Friday, February 12, 2016

We Are Elephants, We Are Whales

"I had a baby!" 

This is what I say to people I haven't seen in a year or so.  So this is what I say to you, too, dear reader.  Though I have been updating my website regularly, and exhibiting and creating new work, I have not written a blog entry for quite some time.  Well, I had a baby.  

Now, the math doesn't quite add up here, since my last post was August 2014.  But I promise you, I have been busy.  From acceptance into the Artists Association of Nantucket to the creation of a new website, to participating in the Sustainable Nantucket Farmers & Artisans Market, to building more and more new work... and among all that, I got married and had a baby.  (While I don't love posting personal information online, these are two legal facts that are not hush hush.)  

Many artists may not want to let the art community in on life changes such as these.  The art community is made up of single, starving artists, right?  Artists who are successful do not get married and they certainly do not have babies.

Whatever.  Having a baby for me is the ultimate act of creation.  She is a moving work of art -- and she inspires me every day!  Although more time is devoted to her than to art (as it should be), I continue to be successful as an artist, by my own measures of success.  I continue to create work.  I continue to show work and be inspired artistically.  

And here are the successful results!

You Are Mine, cut magazine paper on wood panel, 8"x8"
copyright Nicolette Callaway 2015

We Are Whales, cut magazine paper on wood panel, 10"x10"
copyright Nicolette Callaway 2016



No comments:

Post a Comment