Sunday, November 27, 2011

Craft Fairs, Sock Monsters, and More!

Come check out my upcoming craft fairs!  I'll be at the Delmar Farmer's Market (www.delmarmarket.org) every Saturday through Dec. 17th, 9am-1pm, and this coming weekend I'll be at the Congregation Beth Emeth "Walking in a Winter Shopping Land" craft fair, Sunday Dec. 5th, 10am-4pm.

I mentioned before that I've added Sock Monsters to my product line.  Now, I've had some "Ugly Doll" comparisons/comments come up in the last few weeks, and I'd like to dispel any myths and associations with those fine products... my Sock Monsters are made from repurposed/recycled/"upcycled" materials.  They are hand-made.  They have unique postures and personalities.  They do not have names.  They are yours to name when you give them a home.

Some of these "monsters" are like the monsters you live with -- your pets, parents, children, aunts/uncles, cousins, grandparents -- you name it.  These little guys become family.  They are monsters in the most loveable sense.  Sometimes bordering on adorable.  And sometimes they have a special meaning.  Recently I sold my "Say No To Sweatshops" monster, who had a "Made in Macau" emblem sewn on his belly.  He was not made in Macau by tiny impoverished and underpaid hands.  Rather, he was made by a loving, thinking artist who is still slightly impoverished and underpaid.  But I will admit that my opportunities are greater, my choice pool is broader, and my quality of life is higher.  So support local artists, not money-grubbing conglomerate corporations who outsource their jobs to starving people who they do not adequately pay, and rather feed off of their deprivations like parasites.

I didn't get a picture of this sock monster before he was bought by people who will love him.


I will also be featured in a group art show at the Howe Library this 1st Friday, December 4th, 6:30-8:30pm.  Reception, refreshments, and live music will accompany.  I wouldn't miss it.





No comments:

Post a Comment