Friday, September 17, 2010

New Pieces

I finished the communication healing/cosmic memory/foresight/reflection piece... here it is:

This piece is a little different than my others because the animals are slightly hidden in the surrounding colors; usually I work with animals which are more commonly encountered -- rabbits, birds, etc.-- and I tend to highlight them by making them stand out against the background. This time I didn't want to do that -- the whale and the giraffe would be over-exoticized by doing this, when they are already uncommonly seen animals. Each animal I use has a particular meaning, and putting them amidst the four elements shows us that we are all connected in this universe, so to sort of obscure the whale and the giraffe within the image makes them more commonplace and part of the surrounding elements, rather than things to be placed apart from those elements.


I also finished this collaged bag -- I got a little ambitious, and as the bags are all hand-stitched, this one took a while. It is done, though, and contains at least two of the elements! Soon I will incorporate all four into my bags, too, as I do in my paper collages.

No comments:

Post a Comment